Monday, September 13, 2010

Invisible No More

In one of my browsing marathon, Ann Wizer's INVISIBLE caught my attention. 

www.invisiblesisters.org
Its allegorical comparison of the current status of women in the Philippine society (especially those belonging to the underprivileged sector) and that of the nadir situation of the problem involving garbage.

As I click on pages of the site, I cannot help but recollect my own community immersion experience back in college. Dealing with a small barangay's problem involving nutrition, unemployment, and garbage among others. Of course we were not there to bring a magic solution but to spark initiative among the community members on how an individual effort could create positive change.

The impression of that learning encounter never left my mind. This is probably the reason why I have such laud on people or organizations who has the untiring effort to inspire others.

Garbage is everyone's responsibility. It does not just go away after we throw them. It is man-made created problem that should be dealt conscientiously.

For information, visit their site: www.invisiblesisters.org

 

Post Script:: 26 May 2012

I have been practicing "garbage segregation" since 2003, after living in Makati City where the garbage collectors are very strict especially to those stubborn residents.

When my family moved back to Quezon City in 2005; I have taken the habit of it. Thus, in my home I conscientiously follow the routine, even if there is really no city ordinance that is similar to my previous residence. But early this year (2012), an announcement was made by the local Barangay about the "new" ordinance regarding the schedule of garbage collection (biodegradable and non-biodegradable). Well, that is really good news for me.

It may seem to be tasking at first but when you get the hang of it, it becomes an easy system that anyone can follow.
Even my preschool age children are also into segregation.

Let us all become an active participant of all environmental campaigns that is aimed to save and restore our Mother Earth. It doesn't really take a huge effort. Start with something small, like in our own homes. Teach our child/children how to dispose their trash properly.

Recycle. Reuse. Restore. Recover. Donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment