Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Manila Stopover: Riding in Style

There are about 12 million people living in Metro Manila. I don't have the exact statistics on how many million commuters there are everyday.

The common means of mass transportation in this busy metropolis are the jeepney, the metro bus, the MRT/LRT, and the AUV or in local term, FX. There are also taxi, tricycle, pedicab, and "kuliglig".

In my commuting experience, I chose to focus only the the three common mass transportation: the jeep, the bus, and the MRT. I will try to describe why these mode of transportation has made an impact on me that lead me to blog about it.

Jeepney
~ The most common among the three. I think every single Pinoy have ridden it. Young and old. Middle class and poor. Professionals, laborers, students, almost everyone. With an exception maybe of those who are affluent citizens. But I believe they would also want to get an experience riding the jeepney.

A typical scenario in a jeepney's terminal is when the "barker" or the driver yells, "Isa pa, Isa pa!" (literally translates: "one more, one more"). This means that the jeepney is almost full of passengers except that it need one more passenger for it to proceed to their route destination.

Most of the time, other would-be passengers would just wait for the next jeepney in line. Because a common jeepney can accommodate about 10 passengers at a time (there are also 12-seater jeepney). But the annoying issue about it: a 10-seater jeepney can't really accommodate 10 passengers. Based on their size/built, a decent number of 8 passengers would be enough. Maybe they can squeeze in the 10 passengers if they get to chose only those who are size 6 women, or children, or a skinny man.

The jeepney drivers are desperate to earn a few more so they squeeze the passengers. Never mind if the passenger is a plus size person or a man who has a body builder physique. Never mind if the men cannot really sit down with their legs closed together!

Metro Bus
~ Most buses travel through the main and busiest road of Metro Manila. So one can expect quite long rides and seemingly endless traffic. What's causing these traffics? Well, it's obviously because of them. They are taking toooooo long to leave each bus stop! Never mind if there are already 5 or 6 buses in line, all of them bearing the sign board of the same destination. Never mind if obviously, no passenger would want to ride them! 

If you are an adventurous type of person who want to experience riding a unique prototype mode of transportation, the features of both the bump car and a roller coaster - into one, then this is perfect for you. Expect to be squeezed inside when riding during rush hour. The consolation after your ride? You will definitely feel woozy once you get off.

MRT/LRT
~ If you want to see Xena the Warrior Princess wearing an office attire, then this is for you. Women, young and old, dressed professionally - behaving barbarically! The explanation, everyone wants to have a seat. Pushing anyone who stand in their way. Surprisingly, I even hear comments from the male riders that they are actually intimidated by such behavior of the women.

If you're coming from the first station of the MRT on a rush hour, expect to mingle with all the riders who are in such a hurry to get inside the train. Just be careful because it's like a stampede is about to take place.

MRT Edsa
This is my mundane story as a commuter. I cannot imagine how it is for those who reside in areas that is quite far from their work or school. Having to endure these struggles on a daily basis. 

Nowadays, I rarely ride the MRT not because I have a new car, but because I chose a job that is more closer to my residence. In short, I changed my job. The trade off? I got a smaller salary compared to my previous job, but it's not something that I regret because higher salary = higher stress level (work, commuting, time, etc).

I think commuting in Metro Manila is no different from other countries. The rush hour traffic, unruly drivers, poor road conditions/or road signs, etc. (except maybe for the Xena ladies). A serious drawbacks that will not just go away overnight. Despite these issues, I 'm still hopeful that in the near future, improvements will be done in public transportation and discipline will take over both for the drivers and the commuters.

2 comments:

  1. Finally got the chance to check your blogsite! Love this one..brought back memories of my Xena ladylike life in Manila..too bad I never get to experience MRT, it was still under construction when I left..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for dropping by. Try riding the MRT when you get back for your vacation. Just avoid the rush hour. See you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete